Industry terms can often be confusing. So, since we all love our fun in the sun, let me explain briefly these words so you can understand the importance of arming yourself with protective products this summer. First, you already know there are lots of products out there…different brands tout different benefits so it’s difficult to choose the right product. But, you need to know this and arm your beach bag with great products that will help protect your skin from the sun’s damaging rays. Here we go:
- UVA…the aging rays cause premature signs of aging with excess sun exposure. UVA rays are stronger in the early morning and late afternoon.
- UVB…the burning rays that result in “sunburns.” The UVB rays are stronger in the late morning and early afternoon.
- SUNBLOCK…is a topical application that actually scatters or deflects the rays of the sun. Key ingredients to look for are Titanium Dioxide and/or Zinc Dioxide. We carry excellent products…so ask us to recommend the right one for you!
- BROAD SPECTRUM SUN PRODUCTS…offer both UVA and UVB protection.
- SPF… refers to Sun Protection Factor offered by each product. For example an SPF 30 means you can remain in the sun 30 times longer while using the product than you could without wearing it. The testing to determine the “factor” involves how long it takes to redden the skin without product versus with product applied. Thus, SPF 30, SPF 50 etc. Two more important factors include “daily use” meaning those products are formulated to offer incidental exposure like getting in and out of your car…walking from a parking lot into a store…that kind of scenario. “Active Use” products are designed to protect during long periods of sun exposure. The SPF levels are higher and labeling may indicate for “sports” usage, or long wearing. These are great for children.
OK. Now go have some fun in the sun…but not until you’ve armed yourself. We can help with your needs there. More next time!