Are you enjoying your summer sun and fun? I hope so, but keep in mind that too much of both of these can take their toll on the skin. That golden glow from the sun doesn’t come without a price. Some mid summer skin rejuvenation may be in order.
Dehydrated skin is different than dry skin. Dry skin is due to lack of sebum, but dehydrated skin is due to lack of moisture. It appears dull because the lack of moisture prevents cellular turnover. It also can be sensitive and flaky because the topmost layer of skin is not functioning correctly, so irritants can penetrate and more moisture is lost. In addition to drinking lots of water, use skincare that focuses of restoring moisture and not oil. A good example that we sell in our office is SkinMedica Rejuvenative Moisturizer. Also, avoid soapy cleansers that can strip the skin even more, and use cream cleansers instead. Restorative serums, such as SkinMedica’s Vitamin C and E complex, which prevents and repairs UV damage are helpful.
Fine Lines and Wrinkles
Dehydration along with aging, lifestyle and sun damage contributes to wrinkles. Fortunately, along with making healthy changes, there are effective non invasive cosmetic procedures to help smooth things out.
Here are some areas that can really be aged by the sun and dehydration, along with some “quick summer beauty fix” suggestions for your face:
- Crow’s feet creep out from the outer corners of the eyes and extend outward towards the hairline. They are corrected with Botox or Dysport because limiting the muscle movement in the area will relax the wrinkles and prevent them from deepening due to activity.
- Forehead Lines are caused by excessive brow movement and forehead furrowing. Accentuated vertical lines between eyebrows can give an angry or scowling appearance. You can quickly lighten your look with Botox or Dysport.
- Tear Troughs or Hollows swoop below the eye from the bridge of the nose along the lower eyelid and sometimes extending downward toward the cheekbone. Their sunken appearance gives a tired appearance to the eyes, but Restylane and Juvederm are hyaluronic acid gels that safely restore volume to these areas.
- Cheeks and Temples lose fullness and hollow out due to volume loss. Facial fat loss naturally occurs with age, but is sped up by dehydration and sun damage. As fat diminishes, these areas commonly sag and appear shallow. Restylane or Juvederm help plump these shallow areas to restore youthFULness.
- Nasolabial Folds are formed due to volume loss and skin shifting downward. These lines are also called “marionette lines” and reach from the outer corner of the nostrils to the outer corners of the lips. Fillers Restylane and Juvederm help fix this issue.
- Lips lose volume over time, looking thinner and flatter. They also can become framed by smile lines, called “parenthesis lines.” We can help you restore the youthful shape and fullness with the effective lip plumper Juvederm.
Along with avoiding sun damage, staying hydrated and using effective skincare, these injectables are great “quick summer beauty fixes” for your face. Schedule your summer beauty touch up today at www.davinciplastic.com.
Steven Davison M.D.
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon