With summer close, it’s time to think about extra Sun Protection. In previous blogs I’ve told you about the cancers the Suns’ UV rays can cause. First, know that skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the United States (500,000+ per year), and that more than 90% of skin cancer is caused by the sun’s UV rays. Melanoma and Non-Melanoma’s are the most common types, but they are highly curable if treated early. We all are at risk…but some of us more so than others. Read On!
You could be at higher risk for skin cancer if any or all of the following applies to you:
• You have lighter natural skin color
• IF there’s Family and/or Personal history of skin cancer
• You have daily Sun exposure through work and play
• You have a history of early life sunburns
• Skin that burns, freckles, reddens easily, or becomes painful in the sun
• You have Blue or green eyes & Blonde or red hair and/or…
• Certain types & a large number of moles
• Some prescription drugs cause more susceptibility to UV rays
The three common names for skin cancer are: Basal Cell Carcinoma, Squamous Cell Carcinoma, and Malignant Melanoma.
For now, just know that if you develop symptoms such as a small, shiny lump, a spot or mole that is red and firm, or a sore/spot that bleeds and becomes crusty – and won’t heal…. you need to get checked out immediately. (see www.davinciplasticsurgery.com for complete info)
OK – Here’s a review on “Summer Sun Protection” –
HATS – DON’T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT ONE
SUN GLASSES – CRITICAL FOR EYE PROTECTION
SUN PROTECTION GARMENTS/PRODUCTS (like used in water sports)
SUNBLOCKS – they work optimally when used with the rest of these!
Steven Davison M.D.
Board Certified Plastic/Reconstructive Surgeon